Pawtucket ice skating rink horror as ‘3 dead and 3 injured’ | World | News
Three people – including the suspect – have died and three more were left in a critical condition after a shooting at an ice skating rink, authorities said. Police officers and paramedics rushed to the Dennis M Lynch Arena on Monday, February 16, following an incident where shots were fired. A boys’ hockey game was underway at the indoor arena, located in Andrew D Ferland Way in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, when the shooting happened.
Pawtucket Police Chief Tina Goncalves told reporters that three other victims are hospitalised in critical condition. She said: “It appears that this was a targeted event, that it may be a family dispute.” Goncalves did not provide details about the suspect or the ages of those who were killed, though she said it appeared that both victims were adults. An earlier report had suggested one of the victims may have been a young girl.
Earlier this afternoon, the Boston Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) wrote on X: “ATF agents are responding to a reported shooting in Pawtucket, RI, to assist state and local authorities.
“The public should avoid the area and follow the directions of Pawtucket police.”
FBI Boston said it also responded to the incident and declared “no imminent threat to public safety”. However, it urged people to avoid the area.
Rhode Island Governor Daniel McKee confirmed the incident with a message on X, reading: “We are actively monitoring the shooting at Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket.
“I just spoke with Mayor Grebien as well as Rhode Island State Police, who are working with local law enforcement. I am praying for Pawtucket and everyone involved.”
*** Ensure our latest news headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings. ***
A hockey game between Coventry and Blackstone Valley Schools was scheduled to be on at the time of the shooting.
Coventry’s superintendent sent an email to the school community, acknowledging the team was playing at the time of the incident.
It read: “We are aware of a serious reported incident at Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, where our Boys Hockey team was playing. Information is still developing, and we are activly working with event staff and local authorites to understand the situation.
“We have been informed that students are secured in multiple locations. At this time, we are still working to confirm the status and location of all individuals.
“Our priority is the safety of our students and staff, and we are moving as quickly as possible to gather accurate information.”

