Norwegian PM rips into Trump’s ‘unhinged’ Nobel Peace Prize text messa | World | News


Norway’s Prime Minister has shed light on messages he received from US President Donald Trump regarding the Nobel Peace Prize. 

Last month, Trump reportedly told the Prime Minister of Norway Jonas Gahr Støre he “no longer feels an obligation to think purely of peace,” after his country “decided not to award me the Nobel Peace Prize for stopping eight wars”.

As reported by The Atlantic, the Norwegian Prime Minister said: “What did I think? I thought, well, it’s just bringing the debate to a level where we don’t solve problems. I’m not going to engage in a shouting match. I’m not going to respond to it.”

Støre did reply to Trump, The Atlantic also added, sending back a short message that said, as he paraphrased it, “I take your message; I still think it’s useful to talk”.

*** Ensure our latest news headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings. ***

In his interview with The Atlantic, Støre also said that he was not surprised by the grievance-filled communication because he’s familiar by now with Trump’s fixation on the Nobel Peace Prize. “I reminded him every time that it’s not my decision; it’s not the government’s decision. This is an independent committee. It is staunchly independent,” Støre said. The process is so divorced from politics, he added, that “some of my diplomats say, you know, ‘If the prime minister would try to interfere with the Nobel committee, he would have to resign, because it would simply be unacceptable,’” The Atlantic reported.

President Trump also appeared to link his wish to take over Greenland to the fact that he was not awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. This attracted widespread criticism, including from US outlet The Daily Beast, which branded the President “unhinged”.

The document showing his message to Støre, published on X by journalist Nick Schifrin, read: “Dear Jonas: Since your country decided not to award me the Nobel Peace Prize for stopping eight wars PLUS, I no longer feel an obligation to think exclusively about peace, although it will always be dominant, but can now think about what is good and right for the United States.”

Støre then confirmed to VG the letter is authentic and said: “This is a message I received yesterday afternoon from President Trump. It came in response to a short message to President Trump from me earlier in the day, on behalf of myself and the President of Finland, Alexander Stubb.”

In his message to Støre, Trump also said: “Denmark cannot protect this country from Russia or China, and why do they have ‘ownership’ anyway? There are no written docuements, it’s just that a boat landed there hundreds of years ago, but we also had boats landing there. I have done more for NATO than any other person since its founding and now NATO should do something for the United States. The world is not safe until we have complete and total control of Greenland.”

President Trump then said he would charge the UK a 10% tariff “on any and all goods” sent to the US from February 1, increasing to 25% from June 1, until a deal is reached for Washington to purchase Greenland from Denmark.



Source link