Trump blocked from using UK bases to attack Iran in major blow to President | World | News
The UK has blocked Donald Trump and US forces from using British bases to strike Iran, according to reports. The White House is drawing up detailed military plans for a strike against the Islamic Fundamentalist republic involving the use of both Diego Garcia and RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire, which is home to America’s fleet of heavy bombers in Europe.
Under the terms of long-standing agreements with Washington, these bases can only be used for military operations that have been agreed in advance with the government. According to The Times, the UK is yet to give permission for the US to use the bases in the event that Mr Trump orders a strike.
The reticence stems from concerns that it would be a breach of international law which makes no distinction between a state carrying out the attack and those in support if the latter have “knowledge of the circumstances of the internationally wrongful act”.
The president spoke to the prime minister on Tuesday night, and the two men discussed Mr Trump’s ultimatum to Iran over its nuclear programme.
The following day, Mr Trump made his statement attacking the Chagos deal.
*** Ensure our latest news headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings. ***
In Mr Trump’s statement on Wednesday night, the president made an explicit reference to Iran and the role that the UK might play in any attack.
He also appeared to suggest that UK support would be legal under international law, as Iran could potentially strike the UK.
He wrote on his Truth Social site: “Should Iran decide not to make a Deal, it may be necessary for the United States to use Diego Garcia, and the Airfield located in Fairford, in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous Regime.
“An attack that would potentially be made on the United Kingdom, as well as other friendly countries.”
The Government will continue with the Chagos Islands deal, a minister has said, despite US president Donald Trump‘s latest U-turn on his previous support for the agreement.
Justice minister Alex Davies-Jones said the Bill will return to Parliament as soon as the timetable allows, although reports on Thursday suggested it could be delayed.
The proposed legislation, due to be debated in the House of Lords, was pulled last month in the face of a Conservative-led amendment calling for a pause “in light of the changing geopolitical circumstances”.
MORE UPDATES TO FOLLOW..

