Zelensky takes two-word swipe at Trump – ‘People will never forgive’ | World | News
The Ukrainian people would reject a peace deal that involves Ukraine unilaterally withdrawing from the eastern Donbas region and handing it over to Russia, President Volodymyr Zelensky said in an interview with Axios. Zelensky also said he is ready to discuss troop withdrawals, but has called on Moscow to pull its forces back by an equivalent distance and has rejected Russia‘s claims over the Donbas region.
He also added that Washington and Kyiv have agreed that any deal must be put to a referendum of the Ukrainian people.
However, if an agreement means Ukraine has to sacrifice sovereignty over Donbas and the citizenship of its people, it would be turned down.
*** Ensure our latest news headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings. ***
Another central issue is whether Russia should keep or withdraw from the areas of Ukraine its forces have occupied – especially the Donbas industrial heartland – and whether it should get land there which it hasn’t captured.
It is believed peace talks hit a setback earlier this month after a surprise meeting between American and Russian negotiators in Florida without Ukraine. Envoys from the three countries had been expected to meet in Abu Dhabi to continue talks on Sunday (February 1). But Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said that they would take place on February 4-5 instead.
The delay came after US President Donald Trump‘s envoy, Steve Witkoff, met Russia‘s special envoy, Kirill Dmitriev, without the Ukrainians. Neither the White House nor the Kremlin have said what was discussed, but Mr Witkoff said on social media that the meeting was “productive and constructive”.
The first trilateral talks took place on January 23 and 24 in Abu Dhabi and were described by all sides as “constructive”.

